SEJONG KOREAN LANGUAGE SCHOOL
STUDENT CONTRACT: TERMS & CONDITIONS (updated 15 March 2016)
(1) Registering for Classes
- When registering for any class open for public registration, a down payment of $100.00 is required in order to secure a seat in proposed class. Students who walk-in to the school counter to register for classes may also choose to pay the full school fees for that class (instead of just the down payment) at the school counter via approved payment methods.
- Seats in classes are booked on a first-come basis and the down payment is required in order to book a seat in the class. Registration for classes will close when the class is full.
- Student’s personal details are required for identification purposes. SEJONG reserves the right to refuse student registrations who fail to provide the required information for student registration.
- SEJONG reserves the right to refuse student registrations or expel existing students in cases of disciplinary or ethical breeches and will offer a refund of school fees paid toward classes in the event of refusals or expulsions. The qualifications for cases disciplinary or ethical breeches will be determined at the sole discretion of SEJONG management.
- Online Registrations: In cases of online registrations via our website for classes open for public registration, a down payment of $100.00 is similarly required in order to secure a seat in proposed classes. However, students are not able to make full payment of school fees via the school website. Remainder school fees payable less the down payment amount is due on the first day of class. Payment may be made at the school counter via approved payment methods. Online registrations via our website are not confirmed until the registering student receives confirmation of their registration via E-mail, phone, SMS or in-person, with our acknowledgment that your down payment has been received.
- Corporate Classes: Full payment of the invoiced school fee payable has to be accepted by SEJONG at least one week prior to the expected commencement of corporate classes.
(2) Payment of School Fees & Refunds
- Down payment made towards any classes is strictly non-refundable except in cases where there is insufficient number of registrations required for the class to commence and the proposed class is cancelled.
- Full payments for all classes are to be made prior to the commencement of the class. If full payment was not made at the time of registration, any remaining or outstanding payments have to be made before the commencement of the class the student is registered in, or the student’s first lesson, whichever is earlier. Students who fail to make payment will not be permitted to commence the class, receive any course materials, attend any classes and will not be entitled to refunds of any down payment made towards the class.
- Upon the commencement of any class, private lesson or corporate class a student is registered in, all and any school fees paid in relation to the course is strictly non-refundable.
- Before the commencement of any class, students who have registered into regular open-to-public group classes and have paid school fees in full are able to apply for a refund of the school fees paid for the class less the down payment amount with a minimum of one week’s notice prior to the commencement of the class.
- SEJONG strictly does not hold any school fees paid as credit for any other classes or future classes.
- Payment of any school fees made is strictly not transferrable to a third party.
- SEJONG reserves the right to offer a refund of any school fees paid towards a class in the event of class cancellation, postponement beyond the three week grace period for proposed commencing class, refusal or withdrawal of student registration or any circumstance where we are unable to fulfill the provision of prospective classes.
- Any payment of school fees via bank transfer or online registration have to be confirmed via email before being taken as accepted.
(3) Promotions & Discounts
- Students from organizations that are part of our Corporate Affiliate Programme (CAP) should still place a $100.00 down payment to secure a seat in any of our classes, before requesting to have their affiliate discount applied when paying for their remainder school fees on the first day of class at the school counter.
- Eligible organization members have to bring along their Student/Staff/Alumni Card, and let the school administrators know of your eligibility for discount before or at the time of making payment. Only cardholders are eligible for CAP benefits.
- Evidence of eligibility for the promotion or discount has to be produced before or at the time of payment. SEJONG will not refund any difference in school fees to students who attempt to claim a discount or promotion after payment for their class has already been made.
- For CAP students, kindly note that verification of the student’s original Student/Staff/Alumni Card is required for affiliate organization discounts to be applied. Acceptance of proof of eligibility is at the sole discretion of SEJONG.
- SEJONG reserves the right to cancel any CAP partnerships or benefits or change any CAP benefits at any point of time.
- The CAP applies to student registrations into our regular group classes that are open to public registration only.
- All relevant student terms and conditions that apply to all SEJONG students similarly apply to any students registering with a promotion, discount, or as part of the CAP.
(4) Course Materials
- All students are provided a complimentary course book as part of the class they have registered for. Only current students who are actively registered in our classes may receive the class materials for the respective class that they are registered in at that point of time. Course materials are provided and distributed at the sole discretion of SEJONG.
- Our course books and materials are strictly not for sale or reproduction. They are provided to our students as part of the school curriculum.
- In the event that a student loses, misplaces, or damages their materials, the student may write in to request for replacement materials to be provided to them. The administrative replacement and reprinting fee for new sets of materials are chargeable at $15.00 per course book for PVC-spine bound course books, and $30.00 per course book for glue/sewn bound course books respectively. Issuance of replacement materials is decided at the sole discretion of SEJONG.
- SEJONG course books cannot in part or whole be reproduced for any purposes whatsoever.
(5) Commencement of Classes for Regular Open-to-public Group Classes
- Minimum Number of Students Required for Commencement: There is a minimum number of 12 students required for new Beginners 1 Term 1 regular open-to-public group classes to commence at the proposed class commencement date. There is a minimum number of 8 students for all other beginners level classes, and 6 students for all other Intermediate, Pre-Advance and Advance level regular open-to-public group classes.
- Three Week Grace Period: SEJONG reserves the right to either postpone commencement of any of our regular open-to-public group classes by up to three weeks if the minimum number of students for that class to commence at the proposed commencement date is not met, and/or cancel the proposed commencing class.
(6) Transfers for Regular Open-to-public Group Classes
- Student requests to transfer to another class are strictly subject to the approval of SEJONG.
- In cases of approved transfers, there is no transfer fee for students whose transfer arrangements meet all of the following conditions:
- first-time transfer (per registered class)
- transferring to a class of the same level,
- transferring to a class within their *intake,
- transfer request is approved **a week prior to the commencement of the student’s original class.
*An intake refers to a specific group of classes of the same level that start in the same month. Students are to approach the school administration desk for details on what intake a student’s class is in and which other classes there are in the same intake as a student’s class.
**Transfer requests should be made as early as possible to allow processing time for approval to occur a week prior to the commencement of the student’s original class.
- In cases of approved transfers, there is a $100.00 transfer fee for students whose transfer arrangements meet any of the following conditions:
- transferring to a class of a different level than their original class,
- transferring to a class at the same level but of a different intake,
- second or subsequent transfer (per registered class)
- transfer request is made and/or approved less than a week or after the commencement of the student’s original class
- Further to the approval by SEJONG management, all transfer requests are subject to seat availability and the requirement that the class they are transferring out of and into both meet the minimum number of students required for course commencement.
- Approved mid term transfers will be effective only from the lesson immediately subsequent to the most current lesson number of the original class that the student is actively enrolled in at the time of the transfer request.
- All transfer requests have to be made in writing to the school and will be arranged at the sole discretion of SEJONG. Our administration will advise students on the feasibility of their request on a case-by-case basis.
(7) Make-up / Replacement Lessons for Regular Open-to-public Group Classes
- School fees paid toward any class entitles the student to attend the said class only. Students are not entitled to replacement lessons for lessons missed. Lessons missed are considered forfeited.
- Availability of Free-of-Charge (FOC) Make-up Lessons:
SEJONG provides an added service of FOC Make-up Lessons for specific classes only. This service is usually available to classes whose intake has more than one class. In cases where FOC Make-up lessons are available, students who are unable to attend specific lessons may write in via the Make-up Lesson Request Form on the school website, or via email, to request for a replacement lesson for the lesson missing/missed. Each student will be able to make up to three FOC Make-up lesson arrangements within their school term. SEJONG will endeavour to find a suitable FOC make-up class (class of the same level, lesson number and within the same intake as the lesson the student is missing or has missed) so that the student may attend the replacement lesson to cover the lesson they are missing/ have missed without incurring any additional costs. The availability of FOC Make-up lessons is subject to seat availability in complementary classes. Booking of seats in FOC make-up lessons are arranged at the sole discretion of SEJONG and should not be considered an entitlement or guaranteed arrangement as part of their enrolment in the school. Student should provide the school with at least 1 working day’s advance notice in order for any arrangements to possibly be made.
*Note that for some classes, the complementary FOC make-up lessons run earlier than the student’s original lessons. Thus, they would need to make arrangements in advance to missing their original lesson so that they can attend the earlier FOC make-up lesson to cover the lesson that they would prospectively be missing at a later date.
- Ad Hoc Make-up Lessons:
Should FOC make-up lessons be unavailable or unsuitable, current students may request to book an ad hoc make-up lesson. Any booking for Ad Hoc Make-up Lessons have to be made while the student is still an *active student in the school. Ad hoc make-up lessons are private tutoring sessions with one of our SEJONG teachers; to go through the syllabus the student is going to miss/ have missed at their original lesson. These lessons are chargeable, depending on the length of lesson required, number of lessons that require covering, number of students in the class etc. and are subject to our teachers’ availability. Ad Hoc Make-Up Lessons are arranged at the sole discretion of SEJONG. The rates for Ad-Hoc Make-Up Lessons are available at the school counter and may be changed from time to time. Arrangements, bookings and full payment for Ad-Hoc Make-up Lessons have to be made with a minimum of one week’s notice from the proposed lesson date and the lesson has to be conducted within one week from the end of the student’s current school term.
*Active students are students currently registered for a class in SEJONG. Students will not be able to make an Ad-Hoc Make-up Lesson booking after the end of their school term as they will be considered inactive students until registration for a new or subsequent class is made.
(8) Placement Tests
- SEJONG recommends prospective students with prior knowledge in Korean Language to take a placement test for advise on which starting level is most appropriate for the student to register for at SEJONG. The placement test and post-test assessment administered by SEJONG is chargeable at $15.00. This fee may be off-set from the student’s school fees when registering for a class at SEJONG after taking the placement test. The original receipt from the test has to be produced at the school administration desk when seeking to off-set the placement test fee. The placement test is not compulsory but serves to better guide students in registering for a class appropriate to their level. SEJONG does not offer refunds or free transfers for students with prior knowledge in Korean who register into a class that they deem inappropriate to their level of learning.
(9) Additional Terms Specific to Private Lessons & Corporate Classes
- All Corporate Class and Private Lesson class details, structures and schedules must be confirmed before the booking of class.
- Corporate Class: Classes are only considered booked and ready for commencement at the proposed class commencement date when full payment for the class is accepted by SEJONG at least one week prior to the proposed class commencement date.
- Private Lesson: Classes are only considered booked and ready for commencement at the proposed class commencement date when down payment for the class is accepted by SEJONG at least one week prior to the proposed class commencement date and full payment for the class is accepted by SEJONG prior to the commencement of class.
- Requests to have Private Lesson and Corporate Class lessons postponed or rescheduled need to be submitted to SEJONG at least 2 working days prior to the lesson in question and is subject to the approval of SEJONG. Failure to provide the minimum required notice or no-show for classes will be taken as a lesson forfeiture.
- Postponements of any and all classes under the Private Lesson and Corporate Class scheme cannot extend beyond a three week period from their original prospective end date.
- Private Lessons and Corporate Classes are strictly booked on a term-by-term basis only. SEJONG is unable to reserve the lesson timeslot or teacher past the end date of the booked term.
- For Corporate Classes, all arrangements made pertaining to their classes with SEJONG are to be made by a company appointed liaison only.
- Private Lesson and Corporate Class students will be eligible to receive Certificates of Completion for completed courses only if the standard course structure and minimum number of contact hours required for qualification is adhered to. Private Lesson and Corporate Class students may choose whether to have classes conducted in adherence to the standard course structure at the point of registration for classes and/or courses.
- SEJONG students who complete a SEJONG course (Term 1 and 2) under our regular course structure (18 contact hours per term) with a minimum of 75% attendance rate will be eligible for a Certificate of Completion for that relevant course.
- SEJONG students who require an Official Statement of Proficiency from the school will need to meet the minimum required attendance of 75% for the relevant course, as well as achieve a minimum score of 70% on each of the term tests for that course.
- Students and ex-students who lose, damage or require a second copy of their Certificate of Completion will be charged a $10.00 reprint fee.
(10) Other General Terms & Conditions
- SEJONG reserves the right to postpone or cancel lessons.
- SEJONG reserves the right to provide relief or replacement teachers to take over classes.
- Student Terms & Conditions may be amended from time to time. Students will be informed when any changes are made. The school notice board will feature the most updated version of the Student Terms & Conditions.
(11) Data Protection Act
- I allow Sejong Korean Language School to use the contact information I provided to call/text/email me regarding all student and class related matters.
- I will inform the school in writing via email should I no longer wish to be contacted in the future.
By placing a deposit, making payment of school fees or otherwise registering for a class at SEJONG, I accept these Student Terms & Conditions.